- 1 Cup Rice flour
- Pinch of salt
- warm water (add bit by bit untill it becomes a ball of dough)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
- Cardamon 2
- Make a ball of dough using rice flr,pinch of salt,warm water
- Flatten it add sugar,cardamon & coconut filling and seal the edges
- Steam cook it for 5-10 min
- Serve hot PAL (MILK) KOLUKATTAI
Rice flour- 2cups
Sugar-1 cup( It can be reduced to 3/4 cup if one wants to reduce the sweet)
Milk-3 cups( I use HALF & HALF, it can be substituted with whole milk)
1) Make a soft dough of the rice flour, grated coconut along with 1/4 cup sugar and required amount of water.
2)Shape them out to round kollukattai's
3)Bring the milk to boil along with water and remaining sugar.
4)When the milk starts boiling well add the kollukattais one by one take care not to break them.
5)Keep them in low flame till the kollukattais are cooked.
- CHETTINAD KARA KOLUKATTAI:
- Idlli Rice - 1 Cup
- Coconut - 1 Handful
- Red Whole chillies - 2 + 5 (Diced)
- Onion - 1 Diced (big)
- Channa Dal - 1 spoon
- Mustard - for Seasoning
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves - 5 Leaves
- Soak Rice in Water for 3 hrs..
- Grind Rice, Coconut, 2 Red whole Chillies with salt and Hing
- In a Non stick pan , heat 2 spoon oil, Add Mustard,channa dal,curry Leaves.
- Now add the diced Onions.Fry till its Lightly Cooked..
- Add the Diced Red Chillies.
- Now pour the batter in.
- Sprinkle some salt.
- Keep Stirring the mixture, making sure not to form Lumps.
- When cooked, allow it to cool and make it in the form of kolukattai (refer pic)
- Arrange in idli tray and steam cook as u would Idllis.
- It should take about less than 3-4 mins..
- Remove from the idlli pan ..Serve and garnish with chopped cilantro
- Goes well with Onion Chutney , ellu chutney or even coconut chutney
Pidi kolukattai recipeingredients:
1. Rice flour - 1 cup
2. Water - 2 cups
3. Jaggery - 1 cup or to taste
4. Coconut grating or coconut pieces - 1/4 cup
5. Cardamom - 2
6. Gingelly oil - 1tspPidi kolukattai or kudumulu preparation:
Mix the rice flour with 1 cup of water.
Melt the jaggery with 1 cup of water and strain to remove any impurities.
Take a non stick pan and heat with strained jagerry water.Bring it to boil.
Now add the rice flour mix, coconut pieces, cardamom powder and mix well.
Stir continuously ensuring that no lumps are formed.
Once all the water is absorbed and appears like a dough consistency.
Remove from heat and keep aside.
Apply some gingelly oil in your palm.
Make a small lemon size balls out of the kozhakattai dough and keep aside.
For pidi kozhukattai take a small lemon size kolukattai dough and make a ball and keep it your palm just press it by your fingers.
Steam the kozhukatais in idly cooker or pressure cooker using idly plates for 5 to 10 mins.